[iBook] Apple fixes my logic board for the third time in 2 years!

Geoffrey Rosenberg qpower1 at mac.com
Fri Jun 3 00:15:28 PDT 2005

Fellow iBook list!

I want to report my third logic board replacement (14"iBook 16VRAM 700mhz)
is under my belt now after a complete and abject failure to respond to the
power button one morning after I had to reboot. The reboot was precipitated
by a fan run-on abnormality during the work day. Fan came on and stayed on
even though the chassis was cold. The last time this happened, during the
early versions of Panther, it was a problem with implementation of the fan
subroutines - this time I didn't expect that trouble again.

Well, imagine my surprise when I discovered that my Apple Care warranty had
run out just three days earlier!

I hustled down to my local Apple store at the Chestnut Hill mall on Sat. and
waited the obligatory 90 minutes to be heard at the Genius Bar.

The assurance that this repair would be covered in full was a relief! The
Apple repair facility received my iBook and had it fixed within 5 hours and
on its way back to me - the turnaround is fantastic!

And it works!

This logic board extension program apparently has a firm flexible element to
it - the previous repair was just last Sept. It is a troubling concern that
I will face potentially another failure within the next 6-12 months...

Here's to hoping that Apple releases the rumored wide screen iBook soon!!

Regards,

Geoff

--
Internet scuttlebutt:

While suturing a laceration on the hand of a 70-year-old Texas rancher
(whose hand had caught in a gate while working cattle), a doctor and the
old man were talking about George W. Bush being in the White House.

The old Texan said, "Well, ya' know, Bush is a 'post turtle'."

Not knowing what the old man meant, the doctor asked him what a post
turtle was.

The old man said, "When you're driving down a country road, and you come
across a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle.

The old man saw a puzzled look on the doctor's face, so he continued to
explain ... "You know he didn't get there by himself, he doesn't belong
there, he can't get anything done while he's up there, and you just want
to help the poor, dumb bastard get down."