[iBook] NT: Moving from one Mac to another

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Wed Jun 29 14:01:48 PDT 2005

Glad to hear the migration went well Charles...nice machine! (bet you were
walking around with that 'new father! chest stuck out' look for at least a
few days)...

On 29/6/05 21:41, "Charles Pearce" <charlesp at ksu.edu> wrote:

> I took Brian's advice and used the migration utility that Apple so
> graciously provides. All my email settings came back. Let's see about
> iCal ----- yup, they're right where I left them. How about iTunes
> ---- oops, it didn't know where to look for the library; a quick fix.
> iPhoto, same as iTunes. Everything else is good. It copied over all
> my Safari and Firefox bookmarks, as well as all my Mail app settings,
> mailboxes, archives and so on. I'm very, very happy.
>
> Sure, it took a bit under four hours to make the switch, but I could
> use my trusty iBook while waiting.

Depending on how much data was moved over one could easily spend that amount
of time manually doing this with large music libraries, photos, etc.. (good
on you for the 'on topic' loop as well)

> The migration utility comes up automatically as an option when you
> boot the new machine. It asks if you have a Macintosh you want to
> transfer files from. There's also an option for going from a
> partition to another. Clicking on the "other Macintosh" option takes
> you to a screen that tells you how to connect to your old machine via
> Firewire and then waits patiently while you boot it, holding down the
> "T" key. There are some other options that come up and ask what all
> you want transferred. I clicked just about everything and it started
> doing its business.
>
> You gotta love a company that provides for this in the operating system.

:-)

Cheers,

Richard