[iBook] Installer/CD-DVD drive

BG briang113 at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 3 16:13:23 PST 2005

Re the DVD drive, best case loose connection to the drive, worst case
dead drive.

When you say it wont open I assume this is a non slot loading drive,
have you tried the paper clip in the manual open hole.

If there is no power to the drive( which would stop it from opening) it
could be an issue on the Board level. I have not been inside any ibook
yet so I don't know if it is all one board or if this a seperate board
for power. If it is all one board you might check the serial # against
the recalled ibook maybe you can talk Apple into a repair under their
extended program.

As for the password easiest fix is to reformat the drive and star over,
tough to do with the cd/dvd drive.

I am sure there are way around the password if you boot into the
shell.... Anyone????

it is possible there is no password try leaving it blank and hitting
the return. if your colleague never set one that might work.

Did he forget what is was?  If he ever installed anything it would ask
for a password at some point.

I think if after three wrong tries you get a hint, if  one was setup.
This might only apply to login  I am not sure.

BG