[iBook] Re: Two problems, maybe related?

Robin Mayhall robin at hieran.com
Sat Mar 5 06:50:50 PST 2005

Hi all,

A belated reply and thank you to Stephen Mackenzie for his answers to
my iBook G3 questions:

>  > The first has to do with the trackpad. Every so often -- and there
>>  doesn't seem to be any pattern to which applications cause this, etc.
>  > -- my cursor will freeze on the screen or even disappear  ::snip::
>
>I also have a freezey trackpad. Usually sleeping the machine and waking
>it up again would fix it. A couple days ago I finally had a look at the
>cable connection to the logic board (just to the south of the ram slot)
>and found it was loose. Doh.
>
>So it could be that...

The problem seems to have subsided for now, but next time I do need
service, I'll check in to this. thanks for the tips!

>  > The second issue is with my battery. It won't stay "seated" in place.
>>  If I unlatch it and take it out, then click it back in and re-latch
>>  the lock, it will light up and connect for a few seconds, but shortly
>>  after that, the little battery icon will "x" out again. Efforts like
>>  pressing on it, holding it in, etc. don't help. So I'm stuck to my
>>  power cord for the time being.
>
>You mean the battery doesn't _physically_ stay in place (ie. fall out
>of the machine?) or it just won't talk to the iBook? If the latter,
resetting the power manager might help.

You helped me to narrow down the problem. The battery seems to be
slipping physically out of place, just a little - it doesn't fall out
of the machine, but a small gap appears rather than a smooth seam. I
tried resetting the power manager, and that seemed to work for a few
minutes, but eventually I got the "Xed out" battery again. It looks
to me like ye olde battery needs to be replaced, but I'm glad to know
about the power manager trick, too. Thanks again for your help!

Robin

--
robin at hieran.com

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind.
The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. --Henry James