[iBook] was Noisy iBook, now Word macro virus

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 1 09:53:53 PST 2005

Obviously, I don't know how he learned, but a few years ago I had a Word
macro virus on my computer, and I send out Word docs all the time. Suddenly
people started contacting me saying their virus programs wouldn't let them
open my attachments. I got so many of these messages, I had to go out and
buy the first anti-virus program I'd ever owned (and I'd had Macs for at
least 10 years previously without ever having to deal with a virus.) The
program whipped thru my system, let me know I actually did have a Word macro
virus, it wiped it out, cleaned out the rest of my system, and I've never
had the problem since.

By the way, my understanding is that these Word macro viruses are very
non-threatening and basically just an inconvenience. They're nowhere near as
serious as the virii we hear about in the Windows world all the time.

Incidentally, I never bothered to update that anti-virus program, eventually
just trashed it from my system, and haven't had another virus problem since.

Brian