[iBook] LCD screen compatability

Jim Soriano jsoriano at mac.com
Thu Nov 10 20:11:27 PST 2005

Hi Matt:

I have had good experience using a large external LCD with my iBook
G4/1.2GHz/14" system.

It is true that a standard iBook G4 can only mirror the built-in 1024
x 768 display on an external monitor.

However, if you download and install the "Screen Spanning Doctor"
utility found at:

<http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html>

you may find that your system can support larger external resolutions
and screen spanning. My posting on this topic in the forum from
August 2005 reads:

> My iBook 14"/1.2Ghz/ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 using SSD works very
> well driving an external Dell 2005FPW 20.1" display at 1680 x 1050
> @ 60Hz over the iBook's standard VGA adapter.
>
> The iBook's LCD simultaneously displays 1024 x 768. Both provide
> full 32-bit color. Quartz Extreme is fully supported, but Core
> Image is not supported.
>
> Subjectively, driving the Dell display using the analog VGA
> interface is not quite as sharp as driving it using a DVI
> interface, but (for me) it is perfectly fine for the web surfing/
> email/MS Office/Omni apps that I use.

Best regards,

Jim