[iBook] New RAM not recognised

Miche Doherty miche at beeb.net
Thu Oct 6 10:22:03 PDT 2005

On 6 Oct 2005, at 3:52 pm, ibooklist at matthurst.fastmail.fm wrote:

> I bought a 512meg memory card from Crucial for my G4 1.2mhz iBook and
> installed it exactly as per manual, as far as I can tell. Several
> times,
> as it turned out, as the iBook thinks the slot is still empty - it just
> shows the 256meg built in RAM.
>
> Any tricks or tips? Or is it just knackered chips?

Same thing happened to me a year or so ago, but it turned out I just
hadn't seated the RAM properly. I thought I'd pushed it in as far as it
would go, but I suppose I was not pushing very hard for fear of
breaking something.
You shouldn't be able to see the gold contacts along the edge of the
module once it's in place.

Miche.