[iBook] media centre

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:02:54 PDT 2005

What Brian said is all true with regards to Linda's question, but I
think we're talking about apples and oranges here, at least compared to
Angus's original question.  The iMac has all of those ports for
connecting to TVs, but they are meant to send *output* to the TV, in
other words what is on the iMac's screen will show up on the TV screen.

What Angus asked about is going in the other direction - he wants to
take what is normally *input* into the TV (such as a cable channel or
something) and make it *input* into the iMac instead, so he can either
watch live TV on his iMac or save a TV show to his iMac's hard drive for
later viewing (the "time shifting" he mentioned).  To do this, the iMac
does need additional hardware.

I'm not familiar with the Avant card that was mentioned in another
previous reply, but if it is a PCI card or something like that, it won't
work in an iMac because the iMac has no slot.  The only solution I'm
aware of for an iMac would be an external device like elgato's eyeTV:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain

As a disclaimer, I've never tried it, so I can't recommend it one way or
the other.  It's a product that has intrigued me for quite a while, so I
keep an eye on it; it seems to get consistently good reviews.  But,
since I already have a TiVo at home I can't convince myself to fork over
the cash for it, so I can't give you any firsthand testimony.

Hope this helps!
- Mike W.