[iBook] Ethernet port problems; USB instead?

Robin Mayhall robin at hieran.com
Mon Oct 31 16:58:01 PST 2005

Hi all,

The d-link conversation made me realize you might be able to help me
with a similar dilemma.

I have a G3 iBook with one Ethernet port and the dual USB ports. The
Ethernet port is broken or damaged in some way. I can't keep a
reliable Ethernet connection; I can wiggle it around and sometimes
get a connection, but if I move or have to change position, I usually
lose it.

I've been searching for some other way to access my DSL internet
service. I have Bellsouth FastAccess DSL. They sent me a Westell DSL
modem. I also have a Netgear wireless router that a friend gave me
(just FYI) and my iBook already has an AirPort card installed
(unfortunately, there isn't a reliable wifi connection in my
neighborhood that I can 'borrow').

The Westell modem came with a USB cable, and it does have a USB port
on it. But when I try to connect my laptop to it using the USB cable,
I can't seem to get it to work. I don't know a lot about USB or about
routers or modems in general. I've also tried to connect the Netgear
router to the Westell modem with the Ethernet cable, then connect
wirelessly to the Netgear using Airport, but there seems to be some
missing link in the chain that I'm not connecting.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Robin
--
robin at hieran.com

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind.
The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. --Henry James