[iBook] Printing to appletalk printer with Tiger

Michael Max L.Ac michael at maxmedicine.net
Sat Sep 3 08:41:01 PDT 2005

I've been out of the country for a few...well....years actually.

I just dug my HP 6mp out of storage. Last time I used it was about 5 years
ago, I had a "Wallstreet" powerbook back then. The printer has serial and
Appletalk interfaces. Back then I used an Asante "asantetalk" box to connect
the computer and printer. Basically the asantetalk box has an ethernet
connection on one side and appletalk on the other. Simple right?

Well it used to work fine. Now with my iBook G4 and Tiger, no go.

I've turned Appletalk on in my network setting. And according to the HP
website I don't need any special drivers for the printer. Tiger takes care
of everything.

But, I can not find the printer, when I use the printer setup utility. And
even in the network settings dialogue box, while Appletalk is checked as
"on", it still does not show any local Appletalk zone.

I think I'm either missing something in getting Appletalk going, or perhaps
my asantetalk box has gone bad sitting in storeage.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Michael