[iBook] OS X Panther question re: user management

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Wed Sep 14 12:48:51 PDT 2005

At 8:47 PM +0800 9/14/05, Jean-Paul Thuot wrote:
>Sorry if this is a bit off topic.
>
>A long time ago I set up a 'managed' user account for my 7 year old
>son on my wife's iBook.  I did this so that he couldn't muck things up
>on my wife's account, and yet still play on the computer.  An issue
>has arisen, though, that makes me wonder about my choice and whether
>there's a way to change it.
>
>First, because it's a managed account he is unable to install
>anything.  This is good.  However, I'm finding that I must actually
>log into my wife's Admin account in order to install stuff.  Simply
>entering her userid and password from within his account doesn't work.
>  Often it's a case of the install app being unable to create the
>directories it needs.
>
>Now, often, he is unable to play the games that are installed unless
>he's using them from my wife's account.  When using them from his
>account they will either fail to even launch, or crash unexpectedly
>(when trying to write save data? I don't know).
>
>So,  what's the answer?  Can I change permissions on his account, now
>that it's been created?  I've looked under accounts, but it doesn't
>seem to have this as an option.

The problem is with the installers.  There are several programs I
have installed from a non-admin account by just using my admin user
id and password.  What you probably need to do is use the Get Info
command to set the permissions for that application or it's folder to:

Owner - system
Access - Read & Write

Group - admin
Access - Read & Write

Others - Read Only

And apply to enclosed items

If the applications are OS 9 this also applies.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA