[iBook] New (old) iBook

Mary H. maryh at brucetelecom.com
Mon Aug 14 06:24:56 PDT 2006

At 11:21 PM +1200 8/14/06, Carol-Lynn Hill wrote:

>I know the iBook currently has an ATA33 2.5" HD and I am unsure if I
>can use a ATA100 2.5" or if that is important or not.  I know
>nothing about Hard Drives and wish I knew the difference between IDE
>and ATA etc..

ATA and IDE are just different names for the same drive standard.
Notebook drives are readily available at most computer supply
sources. ATA100 will work fine.

Yes, you will need to add RAM.

Replacing a HD in a Clamshell is considered fairly challenging, even
for experienced "case-crackers". Is there an Apple Authorized Dealer
near you? They will often give you a good price on installing, if you
buy the drive there.