[iBook] Clamshell Hard Drive replacement!

sw sw at carolina.rr.com
Thu Aug 17 06:32:47 PDT 2006

On Aug 16, 2006, at 7:58 PM, Carol-Lynn Hill wrote:

> This is the question -
>
> Should I, Should I not?
>
> I am reasonable technically able having upgraded many iMacs with
> Hard Drives
> and RAM upgrades - now I have been given this 300MHz G3 ibook.  I
> need to
> put in an 80GB Hard Drive and upgrade the RAM to 516MB... BUT do I
> do it
> myself?  I understand that it might be a tricky operation.  I have
> read the
> iFixit instructions and would do as one suggested by printing out
> pictures
> and sticking screws to it.  But I would appreciate ANY other pieces of
> advice or information on this pending operation.....
>
> I'd love to give it a try but I am also aware of the difficulties -
> I want
> to be realistic.  What sort of time should I allow? What
> complications have
> others found (who have attempted it)... Please post your
> recommendations and
> advice or comments!

  I have taken mine apart about 4 or 5 times, for one reason or
another, usually hard drive related. If you are  relatively
technically inclined and enjoy doing this sort of thing, you should
not have a problem.

  Leave yourself plenty of undisturbed time. I would say 3 hours for
your first opening. I can probably do it in under an hour now.

  Plenty of space to spread out. You will have lots of parts to lay
out. A dining room table with a solid colour table cloth. The cloth
will prevent things from sliding/rolling off, and the solid colour
will help you find screws and things on it.

  Having an assistant is good. Someone to tape the screws while you
remove them. Someone to keep the cat off the table. Someone to take
over if you get frustrated with any one part.

  The part I had the most trouble with is the top case (the part with
the track pad). After the screws come out, there are snaps that pop
off. They take a firm pressure, but you will be afraid to break it.
Just apply a gentle pressure , increasing it till they pop off. In my
case I was very frustrated with that part, until I discovered an
extra screw and a clip that were not on the plans. Turns out that
there are some minor differences between the plans I had, and the
466Mhz Firewire computer I have. I see that iFixit has a selection
for all the different speeds, so you should be OK if you get the
correct one.
  Also, once you get the top separated, don't forget it is still
attached by the ribbon cable holding the track pad. So after using
force to separate the top, lift it off gently.

  Good Luck

Steve