[iBook] Video editing on an 2 year old iBook?

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Thu Dec 7 05:46:45 PST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 5:34 AM, ibooklist2 at matthurst.fastmail.fm wrote:

> I have a two year old iBook – 30gig HD, running 10.3.9 – and I want to
> do some video editing on it. Nothing flash, just cutting together a
> two
> minute short.
>
> Obviously I’ll need to buy as big an external hard drive as I can
> afford, but apart from that, is my beloved iBook up to it? And if so,
> does anyone have any tips about how to go about it?
>
> If not, what are my options?

Not enough info to answer your questions. Two things, more than HD
size, will determine whether you can or should not attempt to edit
video on your iBook. First, how much RAM do you have? Second, what's
the processor speed? Both of these will determine whether editing is
feasible or torturous. Also, what software do you plan to use? iMovie
is (a) cheap, and (b) fairly intuitive and easy if you've never done
video editing before. Of course, Apple ships it with practically no
instruction or documentation, but there are some online tutorials
that may help. Apple also used to ship it with a tutorial that
included some sample footage to learn the basics. I don't know if
they still do or not. It's been awhile since I felt the need to work
through it. Final Cut Express is also reasonably priced, but may be
more than you require. It has a bit of a steeper learning curve since
it is a pared-down version of their Final Cut Pro, which is intended
for the, um, pro market.

Hope this helps.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)