[iBook] Re: Apple Announces Intel MacBook Pro

jrag_1999 at yverizon.net jrag_1999 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 11 20:18:10 PST 2006

Are we sure that there will be a new ibook or is the MacBook taking the
place of both line of notebooks?

Also, these intel macs will not be running windows according to this:

http://www.betanews.com/article/XP_Wont_Run_on_Intel_MacBook_iMac/1137003330

With the announcement of the first Intel based Macs yesterday, many users
have rejoiced in being able to dual-boot both Mac OS X and Windows.
Unfortunately, this is not the case; due to Apple's use of the extensible
firmware interface (EFI) rather than BIOS, current Windows releases will not
run on the systems. [...]
  With the switch to Intel processors, Apple also moved from Open Firmware
to EFI, which is an updated BIOS specification developed by Intel. Advanced
features include the ability to boot into an EFI shell and run diagnostics
and power up the CPU into a fully functional state immediately. [...]
  Intel initially deployed EFI as part of its Itanium architecture. As such,
Microsoft only included support for the BIOS replacement in its IA64 and
later x64 operating systems. While Microsoft plans to add EFI support in
32-bit versions of Windows Vista, a final release isn't due until the end of
the year.
  Microsoft's 64-bit versions of Windows will also not work despite
supporting EFI, because Apple's Intel platform is strictly 32-bit at the
moment.