[iBook] Two Questions....

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Mon Jul 10 16:31:28 PDT 2006

Well, based on my experience. I have a G4/800 iBook, with 640 mb RAM. I use a
lot of RAM. Typically I'll have 10 - 15 applications open at once (iTunes,
Mail, Camino, a couple of text editors, X11) and I have used Matlab (which as
anyone will tell you can bring any machine to its knees). I also do multitrack
recording on it, and have used photoshop/GIMP, etc..

(although I don't really use Word/excel/etc - which I reckon are poorly written
and use heaps of RAM - or OpenOffice, which despite being excellent uses TONS
of it... ;-)

One thing that can eat a bit of ram is having heaps of web pages open at once
(say 10 or more), but even that... she should be fine with 512, I would've
thought.

Anyway.. I'm sure someone on the list will contradict me if I'm wrong ;-).

Having said that, OSX is based on Unix which is very good at utilising all the
RAM that's available, so a rule of thumb is more == better. (heh heh - I think
I've just contradicted myself)

I guess it depends how much money she has, and if she could better spend it
elsewhere. I think the performance improvement will be minimal at best.

Cheers,
-Gus