[iBook] Yet another problem...

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Sat Jun 3 20:12:13 PDT 2006

I'm not an expert on clamshells, but given clamshells are older Mac laptops (seven years? Ten years?), I would guess that they have wafer (i.e., real) batteries) to maintain all settings including the clock. As with any electronic device which requires a battery to maintain memory, the battery sooner or later will wear out. With a current (i.e., post 2000) EEPROM, a computer will wear out long before the EEPROM.

And, before someone asks, no, it is not possible to upgrade a computer or any other electronic device from a memory battery to an EEPROM (unless you are an advanced computer design engineer).

Fred

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html