[iBook] Way to play MP3's slower?

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Wed Mar 1 05:54:27 PST 2006

Tom Legare wrote:

> Is there a way to make an MP3 song play SLOWER in iTunes? I have a
> 2-piano classical piece I'm trying to learn and the pros do it just about
> 300% too fast for me.... LOL

Unless there's an iTunes plugin to do that, no. But you can use Audacity (Free
from audacity.sf.net) to do it. Load up the MP3 in Audacity, do Cmd-A to
select the entire track, then select "Change Tempo" from the Effects menu.
Scoot the slider to the left until the "Percent Change" value is "-66" to make it
play at 1/3 the original speed. Or you can type in the original and desired
tempo in beats per minute (I think it just uses the numbers to determine the
scale; you could type 300 and 100).

If the tempo is now slow enough, save it to a new MP3 and you're done. If you
want to change it again, close the file, re-open it, and try a different tempo.

-- Larry