[iBook] Off topic? Audio and OCR help wanted

joe joe at joethejuggler.com
Sun Nov 12 15:35:50 PST 2006

On Nov 12, 2006, at 5:11 PM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> On 11/12/06 2:33 PM, "joe" <joe at joethejuggler.com> wrote:
>
>>> Not sure about that. All I ever do in the area you're discussing is
>>> scan
>>> documents and select sections for inputting their text into my Word
>>> docs. I
>>> don't even use database softwear.
>> Sounds like Brian is using some kind of OCR that's part of his
>> scanner software.  I'm pretty sure there's nothing in Preview that
>> could take text out of a PDF if said text is just an embedded image.
>> Mark is right--you need some OCR software somewhere to make the
>> scanned recipes into text.  It sounds like the recipe project won't
>> be something you can fully automate--I'm guessing the recipes aren't
>> in a standard format, so you'll have do some copy and pasting of text
>> into whatever db you set up.  (Filemaker would work fine for that--or
>> a dedicated recipe program.  Or you could probably find a nice recipe
>> template for Filemaker.)
>
> Not true, Joe. I actually am talking about extracting text
> from .pdf files.
> And these are usually .pdf files someone's emailed to me.

Yes--that is text that is already text in the PDF files that were e-
mailed to you.  Mark asked about scanning recipes.  At some point, he
will need to use OCR software to make the scanned recipes into text.

I'm pretty certain you're mistaken, Brian.  What you describe is
merely copying and pasting text that is already text from a PDF file.

Joe