[iBook] Off topic? Audio and OCR help wanted

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Sun Nov 12 15:45:13 PST 2006

Joe is correct. Text can be present in a pdf either as text, or as an image
(imaging taking a photo of a page, and putting a jpg of that in a pdf). In the
case that the text is stored as an image, you cannot use the text tool to
select and copy the text. You will need to use OCR.

Can't suggest a program, but a quick google shows two GNU OCR packages (these
are Free Software).
http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html
http://jocr.sourceforge.net/download.html
These might not be particularly user-friendly - especially on Mac.. you might
need to shell out some $$$.

Have fun!
-Gus