[iBook] iBook to new home/17" MBP arriving

Howard Pettigrew howard.pettigrew at xtra.co.nz
Sat Nov 25 20:25:56 PST 2006

Mark, when you fire up your MacBook Pro, as part of the setup
process, it will give you the chance to transfer your data using the
Migration Assistant which is a programme to transfer your
applications and documents. You'll need a Firewire cable to connect
your two laptops - this will need to be the one with two 6 pin
connectors at each end - like flattened capital D's in shape- you get
these typically with external hard drives, etc. Migration Assistant
will ask you to restart the computer holding down the T key (for
Target mode) and then it will transfer everything from your old
machine onto your new MacBook. Usually takes around 30-45 mins
depending on how much is on your iBook. You will end up with an exact
copy of your old machine on your new MacBook. It is quite remarkable
what sort of job it does. I wouldn't be too quick to give away your
iBook before checking everything is okay and has transferred, and
with my experience, (and my wife's) expect a few crashes on your new
MacBook when you first start using it (I presume this is older
software objecting to running under Rosetta on the Intel chips???)
but it does settle down after a few weeks of frustration.
Hope this is of help
Cheers
H in NZ