[iBook] Need help - dropped iBook!

joe joe at joethejuggler.com
Wed Feb 14 14:28:42 PST 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Catherine W. wrote:

> I'm new here. I recently tripped over my ibook power cord in my
> haste to answer the phone and pulled my ibook onto the floor
> (carpeted, thankfully). To make it worse, the phone call was a
> telemarketing call. Anyway, I've done some research and it seems I
> need to replace the bezel brace. The plastic frame around the
> display is pulling away whenever I open my ibook.
>
> I need help. I found instructions on ifixit.com that get me as far
> as removing the entire display unit but I can't find anything on
> how to take it apart and replace the bezel brace.
>
> I have take apart a few laptops before to replace parts but never
> my ibook. It looks like I have to gut the poor thing to fix it and
> I'm terrified that I'll kill it. The fact that I can't afford to
> buy a new computer is what really scares me so I have to fix it and
> it has to live!
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

My only advice is to keep careful track of the screws.  There's a
bunch of them, and they look similar but are different.  I found it
best to tape them to a sheet of paper in groups and label them (3 at 4mm
for example).

I've taken apart and reassembled an iBook G3 and a G4  on several
occasions, and they're not too bad if you've got a good manual (like
iFixit).

Joe