[iBook] Waiting for Leopard, formerly Brrrrrr

joe joe at joethejuggler.com
Thu Jan 18 20:11:16 PST 2007

On Jan 18, 2007, at 8:27 PM, Larry Kollar wrote:

> My G3/900 iBook crapped out yesterday, with all the symptoms of a
> chomped
> logic board. I confirmed with Apple what we probably all knew
> anyway, that
> the extended repair program is over with. I've snarfed the
> MacBookPro from
> work, while I try to decide whether I want an MBP or an iMac.
>
> $400 for a new logic board from iFixit... I'm thinking of replacing
> it & giving
> the repaired iBook to my daughter, whose 12" iBook got wrecked by her
> brother. If not, I need to at least get a Firewire enclosure so I
> can get my stuff
> off it.

Is this the graphics chip issue?  If so, it's not a bad fix.
Apparently heat causes the solder to loosen up.

The easy fix is to put a shim inside the case over the spot where the
chip is (to push it in).  (I've done this, and it works--and so far
there's been no recurrence.)

The other way is to reflow the solder with a heatgun, a soldering
iron on a spoon, or alcohol in a tea candle thingy.  Here's some
links including that strange last one:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/377hb3

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y6xz2p

There are plenty other sites that can offer help too.

My only advice is to keep careful track of the screws.  There's a
bazillion, and they look very similar even though there are many
different sizes.  I taped them in groups of same kinds/same locations
to sheets of paper and labeled them as I went along.

Joe