[iBook] ibook g3 600 mhz (2002/late 2001)

Skygram skygram at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 09:02:05 PDT 2007

Hi Wilfred,

Yes Linux could work in lieu of OS-X. It would also be cheaper. However I
don't believe that Ubuntu have a version for PowerPC chips. In other words
Linux must have a specific version that is tweaked to function with the
mathematical architecture of the Mac PowerPC processors. Possibly SUSE or
Fedora Linux might work. I know that one or the other or both have a free
version of Linux that would work with your G3. You would have to check that
out. I am a bit of a techie and I also know that Linux can be rather
problematic to the newbie. Personally I wouldn't go the Linux route. The
learning curve is significantly greater with Linux. In some respects it can
be worse that Windows.

I made a mistake when I said that my G3 had 320mb of ram. It has 384. :-)

Stick with OS-X. It is truly the best desktop computer operating system
available today.

The difference between the discs that I mentioned is this. When you buy a
Mac it is given to you with an operating system on discs that is specific to
your machine. It has firmware and a number of other components that you will
not find on a retail version of OS-X. This can become important should you
need to change your motherboard or do a major re-install for one reason to
another. The problem is often that these discs are thrown away when people
buy a newer version of the operating system. This can therefore be
regrettable for the owners down the road.

My discs that came with my iBook had a version of OS-9.2 on them. I am
holding onto mine. But you can get you hands on these disks on the Internet.
I doubt that Apple will sell them from that era. They shouldn't be too
expensive.

However, first try a retail version for the time being. It might be all that
you need. I imagine that a new version of Tiger will drop in price once
Leopard is offered later this month. Leopard will not work with our G3s.
However Tiger is still dynamite.

Best of luck,

Bill