[iBook] ibook g3 600 mhz (2002/late 2001)

Wilfred Reimer wilfreimer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 04:23:34 PDT 2007

I ended up removing the hard drive and having it wiped.  I got the operating
disks from the rebuild dealer who sold the unit to my nephew, so I'm
assuming they are the right ones.

After the wipe and hd reinstall, I was able to get the os started and
followed it through to the "choose a destination" where there was nothing
listed to choose and could go no further.  Went to the disk utility and
tried to partition the drive.  It started but would not finish.  The second
time I tried this, I let it run for quite awhile and when I came back to it,
it was dead.  I couldn't get it to start up again - pulled the power plug
and let it sit.  Next time I tried it, I was able to go through the same
routine again, except this time and subsequent times, it shuts down right
after I choose English as the language, then I have to wait again without
the power on, sometimes having to remove the battery as well.  Now, I can't
get it to power up at all.

Any ideas?

On 10/4/07, Skygram <skygram at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wilfred,
>
> I am going to venture one idea. I do this because I have an identical
> iBook
> and I have never seen this warning. I am guessing that the system software
>
> was reinstalled using the wrong setup disks. I assume that Powerbook discs
> were used. I would suggest that you look into that possibility.
>
> I would look into buying or somehow getting your hands on a retail version
>
> of OS-X. I also think that you can find the original system discs for your
> G3 iBook on eBay. Do you know what I mean? Do you know the difference
> between these two versions of discs?
>
> I use Tiger on my G3-600mhz. It works very well. However I do have 320mb
> of
> ram.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Bill