[iBook] ibook g3 600 mhz (2002/late 2001)

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Mon Oct 15 07:27:08 PDT 2007

Just FYI, for others considering doing something this drastic (ie.
removing HD to wipe), simply put it into "Target Disk Mode" and
connect it to another Mac via FireWire. To do this you hold down the
"T" key at the startup tone (powering up your Mac from an off state).
Once connected to another Mac (desktop or portable) you can run the
Disk Utility. I typically zero a drive when it's being "difficult".

All Macs with FireWire built in natively can do Target Disk with the
exception of the Blue & White towers. The only times that I have seen
Target Disk Mode fail is if there is a firmware password (schools
tend to do this so people can't copy or modify the computer) and when
there is a hardware problem.

-Mark