[iBook] Panther Installation

Peter Nevett nevett at tequis.com.mx
Mon Aug 25 05:27:46 PDT 2008

I am trying, for the umpteenth time, to install OS X Panther on my
wife's iBook (original version, 300 MHz, OS 9.2.2, 320MB ). As usual
when I insert the Panther install disc (yes, it's a real retail set of
black CDs) I get the spinning barber's pole and the message "Preparing
Installation" . It stays like that for hours, long after the CD has
stopped spinning.
I have previously looked at the verbose mode screen while this is
happening and the experts on this list suggest that there might be a
problem with the hard drive.
Disc utilities finds no problem, repeatedly.
Is it possible to start up the iBook from the OS9 CD, format the hard
drive and then try to install Panther? I have backed up the iBook but
is there a danger that I will then be unable to re-install any OS at
all?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete Nevett