[iTunes] flash drive

Dale Shera dshera at mac.com
Tue Jun 3 00:46:47 PDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 9:37 PM, David Wilson wrote:

> I have about 25-30GB of music on my powerbook. I'm looking to move
> the library over to a flash drive to clear out my internal HD to
> install 10.5.
>
> Question: are 32gb flash drives fast enough to hold a large library
> and play reliably off the drive?

Sure, they'll work fine.

> Question: is anyone doing this, and what model do you recommend?
> I've seen a few as low as $125. or so.

I don't know if other's are doing something like this, or not. But, I
wouldn't. Here's why: I just bought a portable external USB hard drive
(Seagate 250 GB FreeAgent Go) at Fry's Electronics a couple of weeks
ago for $110 + tax. That's almost 8 times more storage--for $15 less--
than the flash drive you're talking about. Also, you're going to
completely fill that flash drive right when you get it. You'll have
little-to-no more room for expansion for new files. Sure, hard drives
have a larger footprint on your desktop than flash media, and most of
them require a second USB port to power the drive. But, for my money,
the cost of flash memory is still too much for too little.

Dale