[iTunes] iTunes 8 - turning off the Genius sidebar

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 14:19:35 PDT 2008

--- On Wed, 9/24/08, Kirk McElhearn <kirkmc at mac.com> wrote:

> When you click the button at the bottom of the window, the
> sidebar
> doesn't go away? Weird...
>
> Try the Store menu, choose Turn off Genius. See if that
> helps.

nope. I get an -50 error message. I can access iTunes Store any other way, just not through that button.

Turn Off Genius wasn't an option; only Turn On Genius. So I'm turning it on and then will try to turn it off.

It rather bothers me that I have to give Apple access to my full library in order to turn the %$#%@ thing off, but oh, well. I wish they'd made Genius more of an option than it seems to be... opt in rather than opt out.

if that fails, the guy at Apple Tech Support (who was less than helpful; the first time I've found that to be true) gave me the url to download version 7.7.

(later)

tried to turn on Genius; got an -50 error. but then Turn Off Genius was on the Store menu, so I turned it off, and that got rid of the sidebar. It's a good thing I don't want to use it... so far the only thing it gets me is the -50 error.

-becca