[CUBE] recommend good multifunction printer

macjedi at mac.com macjedi at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 12:42:16 PDT 2003

On 4/8/03 at 12:16 PM, kastegir at mac.com (Hal) did send into the ether:

> I was wondering if anyone has a good multifunction printer/fax/scanner
> that they can recommend. Requirements are : OSX compatible, prefer
> laser, but good inkjet would be acceptable, prefer flat-bed for
> scanning, preferably supports network connection, rather than USB. I'd
> like to share it with my Cube, TiBook and iMac over my LAN.
>
> I've looked at several online reviews, but I'm hoping that the wisdom
> of the group can help me sort them out.
>
> Specifically, I've looked at the HP PSC 2210 and 2110 models (on
> Apple's site) and I've been pretty happy with my HP inkjet printers in
> the past. I'm certainly open to other brands as well. The only ones
> I've had trouble with are Epson, with print heads consistently
> clogging. When they work, they're great though.

Hal,

My wife and I have been happily using the HP OfficeJet d145 for about four
months now. I got the JetDirect box that plugs in to the d145's USB port and
stuck it on our home network. After installing the HP software for this line on
all systems, my Cube, TiBook/500, wife's generic PC and IBM ThinkPad all print
perfectly to the d145.

I haven't tried scanning with it yet, but we've made photocopies and
sent/received faxes manually. I'm very pleased with the performance so far.

The d145 is an inkjet, but it's fairly quick. I wouldn't want to print out a
100+ page document on it, but for a single to low 20-page docs, it works great.
It's a color printer, and does a servicable job of prints up to 8x10 (provided
your photo's resolution is high enough that it doesn't pixelate). The quality
isn't as good as HP's other inkjets that are tooled for printing photos, but
it's good enough for most stuff.

chris
------
"Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as
indignant as those who are." -- King Solomon