[CUBE] Urgent - on site- kernel panic

Alan Thompson athomp2 at mac.com
Fri Apr 18 15:09:15 PDT 2003

Good luck - it does seem to sound like the USB issue that Apple just
admitted to, and recently posted an KnowledgeBase article on.

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 02:55 PM, Brenda Mitchell wrote:

> We are kicking and screaming into this "weird" UNIX world. Never
> wanted to have to do terminal, etc.....that's why we had Macs. Sorry,
> I know that Alan, etc consider us absolutely primitive with such an
> attitude, but from user standpoint - the 9 world WORKED! Sharing files
> across local networks was as simple as making a user and sharing a
> file with them. This same client goes ballistic when a staff person's
> machine tells her she doesn't have sufficient privileges to trash
> something, etc. Actually, I go ballistic about the same issues.

I do understand and sympathize with what you're going through - really!
  Even OS 9 for the user was not as easy as computing should be
(otherwise your consulting firm wouldn't exist!).  But there are some
scary things about OS 9 - the very same things that you speak to being
easy do indeed make me shudder and are primative - no file permissions
is an absurd lack of security, and all it would take for your kicking
and screaming client to kick and squeal about not having file
permissions would be to have a disgruntled worker delete everything on
a disk, trashing valuable files, etc.. It just takes some thought to
manage, and admittedly, can be a headache as well.  Good luck.

--alan

ps. there's a great log file tool that has a nice GUI on it - check out
Log Master on versiontracker.com.  You can see all the nitty gritty log
file entries with this, search on them in Google, groups.google.com,
and even Apple KnowledgeBase articles to help you solve problems - and
never have to open the Terminal/shell.