Cube: ADC to DVI / ATi Rage to NVidia Geforce2 MX 32Mb swap

Tom Davidson TomD_ALG at robotgroup.org
Fri Jan 3 23:23:33 PST 2003

I have a tower Twinview 2MX in my cube with a 80mm base fan and the
stock CPU.
When playing 3D games under OSX 10.2, the heatsink on the 2MX card would get
to nearly 100C, this means the chip itself was probably over 100C, this
is too hot.
It will reduce the life of the chip by as much as 100X, I put a Tennmax
5V fan-sink
on the 2MX and it reduced the max temperature to about 80C, still not
ideal, but
much better than 100C. I've removed the modem card and the internal
chrome grille
from the base of the cube to improve airflow, and I still have a 80MM
fan too..

The Apple 2MX Twinview cards get very hot in a cube, you should not run
them without
a fan-sink, or a monster heatsink that covers at least 1/2 of the card.
 I have looked into
using a Zalman Copper GPU sink, or a Zalman G2 Heatpipe cooler, there
are possibilities...

I also just got a new PC Ti4200 card, what do you know, it will fit with
only a tiny bit of
board chipped off at the corner and a relocated DCDC card. I'm looking
for a Mac BIOS
tweak for it now.