[CUBE] somewhat OT: new stuff...

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Wed Jan 8 05:42:26 PST 2003

On 1/8/03 5:55 AM, phoenix at cybernothing.org typeth:

>       So, anyone installed Safari on a Cube running 10.2.3 yet?
>

> tempted,
> phoenix

It's got serious potential. I am probably one of the few people who
regularly (several times a day at minimum) use IE's Scrapbook and PageHolder
features. It's why I keep it as my primary browser. It will take a lot to
get me to give those up, but one day...

I was using Safari all afternoon on my iBook and then on my Cube last night
and this morning. I have found a few bugs. It's beta, so I expect that. I've
run into a few javascripts on a few sites that it doesn't like (mostly
date/time scripts that are displaying as 'undefined'). Blogger Pro doesn't
work with it. That sucks, because I update CubeOwner.com's homepage from
Blogger Pro. Several people have told me that they can't log in to Hotmail
with it (I don't use hotmail so I can't verify that). Some sites all of a
sudden have text that's really really small (all of them using small pt
sizes bet 8.5pt and 11pt in css, but IE renders those pages very nicely with
the text legible, so it's just jarring, not necessarily wrong).  Another pet
peeve of mine. If I am clicking inside the address bar, there's a reason...
The reason is that I want to type a new address to go to a new site.
Therefore, I expect that if I click in that bar, the entire address field is
going to be auto-highlighted so I can just type the new address in. It works
that was in IE. I like it. It makes sense. Safari doesn't do that. So an
added "command-a" is required to highlight before I type the new address so
I can type OVER what's there.

And  bookmark bug that maybe is only an issue if you have as many bookmarks
and folders in your bookmarks file as I do. I really do like the new iTunes
like layout. But - I have well over 1000 bookmarks, sorted methodically
(took me a long time) into about 40 folders. You may have noticed that
Safari automatically finds your IE bookmarks without intervention from you
and imports them in an "Imported IE Favorites" folder. I thought that was
cool, except when I looked, I only saw the first 8 folders in the list. So I
thought maybe there's a really low limit to the # of bookmarks you can have
here?  I happened to expand the last folder in the list and noticed that at
the bottom of the expanded list was, alphabetically, my 9th bookmark folder
from IE, and sure enough, inside the 9th folder was the 10th folder, etc...
So basically it took the first 8 folders and each subsequent folder became a
subfolder of the previous subfolder. Very bizarre! Same behavior on both
computers.

I've done my part.. I've reported all bugs I've come across so far using
their cute little built-in bug reporter. Here's hoping they fix 'em quick!

Laurie
--
AOL IM/iChat: cubeownernyc
http://www.cubeowner.com