[CUBE] GSM & IrDA

Peer Bentzen peer.bentzen at tin.it
Sun Jan 26 12:24:20 PST 2003

On 26/01/03 21:06, "Riba" <riba at hi.hinet.hr> wrote:

> On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 08:19 PM, Rick Rodman wrote:
>
>> I tried using IrDA with Palm back in the OS 9 days (on a 6200, if you
>> want
>> to know).  Forget it - it's slow as death.  Maximum speed on IR is
>> 19.2kb/s.
>> FWIH, Bluetooth isn't much faster.
>
> I know it isn't, so I don't really see the bluetooth advantage. Speed
> is not the issue, the amount of the data transferred is very small, at
> least in my case.
>
>> Get the Keyspan Dual Serial USB adapter.  It works perfectly under Mac
>> OS X
>> (get drivers from Keyspan's web site).  You'll need a
>> mac-serial-to-9-pin
>> adapter.  Plug all the cables together and play!
>
> In that case I'd rather get a CubePort, since I don't use my internal
> modem....now that you mention it, CubePort can be found for the same
> money as the USB-IrDA adapter...but that would leave my Powerbook in
> the cold...ah, so many problems...

I've got an Ericsson-Sony Ti68 and then in my car I've got some Bluetoth
Parrot thing installed. It's incredible: Whenever I enter the car and turn
the key, this Parrot-gadget recognizes my phone (in my pocket), and after
about two seconds it's ready to receive calls. It uses the stereo's
speakers, and there's a mic sitting in front of me.  I don't have to turn on
the stereo, and don't even have to mount it's front panel. In this way I
don't risk forgetting to plug in the phone before driving, and I don't risk
forgetting to take the phone with me when I leave the car.

/Peer