[CUBE] GSM & IrDA

a l a n t h o m p s o n athomp2 at mac.com
Sun Jan 26 12:27:58 PST 2003

actually, i do consider line-of-sight technology inferior to any
alternative that allows for simple proximity based recognition and
transmission.  i think lots of folks did, which is why irda is dead.
market penetration, or heck, actual use of irda has been very very low.

but if, as you say, bluetooth, which i have no experience with
whatsoever, has a sucky range, then it's just not ready.  i've always
been skeptical of bluetooth - only recently did i start thinking it
might be useful if it were like wireless usb in a 3-5 (us foot) range.
this would be cool.  no more logitech cordless crap - bluetooth mice,
keyboards, printers and scanners would be very cool.  guess it's not
there yet.

but generally, i do consider irda sucky because of it's speed, and
line-of-sight only capabilities.  if bluetooth were faster, and devices
didn't have to point directly at each other, that would rock.

as an aside:

the other day, working from home, i put my (win2k, intel) laptop on my
desk, and it perks up, and says printer now in range.  i'm like, wow,
it just noticed my printer being nearby.  that's very cool, until you
consider the speed, and that as soon as i put my arm in the way of the
irda port on the laptop, the connection between the laptop and printer
went away.  line of sight sucks.

be cool if bluetooth took care of this.

guess not.

--alan