[CUBE] iDVD w/ External DVD-RW Drive?

David Evan Isom deisom at mac.com
Fri Jan 31 19:55:11 PST 2003

There's obviously lots of interest about how to use a DVD burner with a
Cube. I think that that interest falls mostly into one of two
categories:

1. Those who would like to put a slot-loading SuperDrive (such as the
one in the PowerBooks) in a Cube

2. Those who are interested in using a Firewire DVD burner but would
like to use iDVD, due to its simplicity and far lower price than DVD
Studio Pro

Unfortunately, neither of these options are possible right now.

Frankly, I don't think there is much interest in running a Cube out of
its core with an internal DVD burner mechanism attached, as this sort
of defeats the whole point of a Cube. It seems to me that it would make
more sense to replace the Cube and buy a similarly-powered Power Mac G4
and replace its optical drive with a Pioneer DVR-A05 mechanism than to
run it out of its core with an internal mechanism attached via ribbon
cable.