[CUBE] cube Sonnet upgrade downgrade

John Labovitz johnl at johnlabovitz.com
Wed Jun 11 21:58:05 PDT 2003

On 6/11/03 1:01 PM, "S Keene" <mail at suzannekeene.com> wrote:

> So, here I am wondering whether to get a 1.2 GHz Sonnet upgrade
> installed (by an apple dealer) and if I do would the fan be noisy, but
> if I do will I lose my Cube in a puff of smoke, or is this risk
> specific to processors from Japan???

I literally just finished (ten minutes ago) upgrading my Cube using the 1.2
Ghz Sonnet.  It went fairly well, although did take quite some time to do.
I don't recommend it for someone who hasn't worked with the innards of small
computers before.  It was nice to have everything come up working on the
first try!

Unfortunately, the fan noise *is* noticeable -- even irritating.  Granted,
that may be my installation -- perhaps there's something rattling around
that shouldn't be.  (I also have a Rage 128 video card in there with it's
own fan, but the noise now is definitely louder than it was before the CPU
upgrade.)

However, the whole system is much faster, which is nice.  I'll see how long
I can take the whirring noises before I take it back apart and make the fan
quieter.

--
John Labovitz
johnl at johnlabovitz.com