[CUBE] AirPort question...

Gnarlodious gnarlodious at mac.com
Wed Sep 3 08:02:53 PDT 2003

Entity Paul Kropp spoke thus:

> Do AirPort cards sometimes gradually degrade and lose their ability to
> receive a signal?
Yes.
I have a web page describing the problem and solution:
<http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Entities/Computer/Cube/AirportAntennaMod.html>

The site seems to be offline at the moment, so I'll reprint the text here:

Problem:

Cube's Airport card is impotent.

For starters, the built-in antenna in the Cube is very ineffective because
of a tiny plastic plug in the steel case. All signal must pass through the
hole making for a weak signal.

Solution:

Wireless LAN Radio Pigtails
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/frameset_1.php
The connector is for an "MC Card" which is what the Airport Card is. If you
select "MC Card" and "Apple" you will get a list of "Pigtails", adapters to
plug in an external antenna to your Cube.

2.4 GHz 12 dBi Enclosed Yagi Antenna
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2412y.php
along with the gold-plated 19 inch "pigtail" and 6 ft of ready-made cable
for a total of 104$.

You can see how I ran the cable out of the Cube here:

Since I removed the retractable latches this was easy but the unmodded Cube
may need a small hole drilled.

Overall result is vastly improved communication with my base through a New
Mexico adobe wall. As far as I'm concerned, every Airport equipped Cube
needs this accessory.

It works great! My little Airport card is blasting on this 12db gain
directional.

--Gnarlie