[CUBE] Hitachi hard drives

Randy Spencer israndy at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 17:01:35 PST 2004

Perhaps Hitachi drives are bad, but they are CHEAP.  I just picked up a 180
gig drive at Fry's for $69 after rebate...  That's less than fitty cent a
gigabyte.

  -Randy

--- Eagle <eagle243 at mac.com> wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> I know many of you have researched replacement hard drives for your
> Cubes.  Well, as you know I have a new iMac that replaced my Cube.
> Now, this iMac has a Hitachi drive in it (specifically a
> HDS722580-VLAT20), and apparently these Hitachi/IBM DeskStar drives
> have this REALLY annoying, uh, "feature" which is supposed to prolong
> the life of the drive.  If anything, it's going to limit the life of my
> COMPUTER because I'm going to pound it into the ground.
>
> So, a word of warning: if you want quiet operation, STAY AWAY from
> these IBM/Hitachi DeskStar drives.
>
> Now: assuming Apple will not replace my unit, what replacement hard
> drives have you guys found to be suitable, QUIET replacement drives?
> This one is an Ultra ATA/100 @ 7200 rpm, so I would like to stick with
> something along those lines.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Eagle

> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <Cube-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> ----------
> $14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac
> ISP
> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
>  T3Hub  |  3 Port USB Hub weighs less than an ounce!

>    Outpost    | http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

>   Dr. Bott    |    <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ADCExtension.html>

=====
Randy Spencer (510) 769-1949 AIM:RanSpen Citrus Insight #5427
 http://geocities.com/israndy From a recent letter to the editor in Tennessee:"The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians (INDUCTING A GAYBISHOP) are an affront to Christians everywhere.  I am just thankful that the church's founder, Henry VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon, and his wife Anne Boleyn, and his wife Jane Seymour, and his wife Anne of Cleves, and his wife Katherine Howard, and his wife Catherine Parr are no longer here to suffer through this assault on traditional Christian marriages."