[Cube] G4 Cube to imac G5

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 2 16:56:33 PST 2004

I must say I am sorry that I moved on to the imac G5, but this thing
rocks pretty hard.

The Cube took an 8 1/2 x 8 1/2" square in the corner of my desk.  I had
the PL upgrade Case in solid black (like a mirror) and an Apple 15"
Studio Monitor (ADC).  I had an OEM GF3 and a 40 gig 7200 HD.  I was
ready for the CPU upgrade.

I compared the cost of a new imac at $1500 and the re-sale value of the
Cube on ebay.  And then consider that a 1.2 GHZ CPU still costs near
$350-400.  Now, I live in Canada and sometimes the exchange Apple gives
or the resellers prices really suck.  But I happened to be in Florida
and grabbed my new imac in Bocca Ratton - long and short was that I
saved a bundles in taxes and exchange (legally).  I listed my nice
shiny Cube on the LEM list and with no bites went on to ebay.  $950 +
shipping in 2 hours + 10 minutes.

My new imac cost me all of $550-600 US.  Apple is an awesome product.
I cannot imagine trying to sell a 5 year old IBM clone for more than
maybe -next to nothing- and yet Apple products have a very good value
retention.  It's all about style, usefulness and availability.  I am
certain that in 4-5 years this imac 17" 1.8 GHZ G5 will hold a value
for all the qualities my Cube had.

I am sad to see my Cube gone but I got something bigger, faster, and
just as unique, not to mention a wee bit more desk space.  The only
other drawback I can see now is the lack of RAM in these things - it is
really starved for RAM.  And it aint cheap either.

Sorry, but these imacs are very nice and monetarily make pretty good
sense.  Big upgrade in HDs, Superdrives, CPU, Screen Size (for me),
Space consumption, and Bluetooth.

I think these really are a Cube Killer package as feared from the
beginning.

Thanks

jj