[Cube] firmware problem

Luis Meleiro luis_meleiro at cilsp.com
Wed Feb 9 02:51:10 PST 2005

Marco: Thanks for the info. Mine was bought after Jan 2001 and definitely came with the CD that misteriously vanished from my CD archive.
If you're planning on upgrading your Cube (PowerLogix, Sonnet and/or GigaDesigns), it is mandatory that you upgrade its firmware version to the latest, 4.1.9f.

If you have another Mac (or a friend of yours) with FireWire, you could try the FW Target Disk Mode trick. Connect both Macs using a FW 6-6 pin cable. Boot your freind's Mac and when prompted, boot the Cube pressing the keyboard's "T" key. That will put your Cube under Target Disk Mode. Now run the upgrade from your friend's Mac and point the Cube as the destination hard disk to run the firmware upgrade. You should get no further errors.

Hope this helps,
LM

>>> marco.demaria_at at libero.it - 07/02/2005 7:30 AM >>>
Thank you Luis Meleiro, George Paterson, Bruce Carr for yours answers.
Luis:
like Bruce, I bought my cube second hand and I didn't get a Hardware
Diagnostic CD. So I join with all people who ask for this software..
but I found following Apple document
(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50139) "Apple Hardware
Test for Power Mac G4 Cube version 1.1 is distributed only with the G4
Cube, January, 2001".

George:
my problem isn't that "the programmers button and the reset switch are
not functioning" because reset is ok and programmer button look like ok
indeed when I press it at startup, the power lamp flashing correctly
how is write in firmware upgrade instruction.. but no firmware update
progress bar appear on monitor.. so.. I tried held down
command-option-p-r at startup for 2,3,4,5 cycles (zapping p-ram, I
thing) but nothing is happened (not even the clock gone to zero). Only
pressing down the "cuda" button I can reset clock. When I hold down
command-option-o-f I can enter in open firmware prompt but then I don't
know what to do!
On my cube I can run osX 10.3 panther without problems, but curiously I
can't change startup disk from System Preferences (only at startup
holding down option button, I can choose startup disk), and the boot
noise "gong" don't depend on volume regulation.
Conclusion, my cube have a brain very hard :)

Any advice?
Thanks from a newbe cubist.

p.s.

I found 2 kind of firmware upgrade: 1  T-G4 Cube FWUpdate 4.1.9 and 2
G4 Cube FWUpdate 4.1.9. I think only difference is language: 1 Italian,
2 English.

p.s.s.

Is possible to do hardware upgrade if firmware isn't upgraded? Somebody
know if upgrading the cube with devices of Giga Designs, Sonnet or
others resolve this kind of troubles?

Marco.