[Cube] Mac mini take apart clues

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 12 15:28:10 PST 2005

Yes, but then you would still need the 3200 DDR 400mhz RAM as the imacs
are very short in the RAM department as well.  The real problem is that
we are used to PC 100 / 133 RAM at great prices and now these take a
new chip that the price has not dropped much on.

> For all that it would take to bring it up to fighting trim, one could
> almost buy the G5 iMac.  --Steve

These 3200 chips cost some hefty dough, but wait 3 years and let the
Windows world catch up in the RAM dept a bit and the market may get
some economies of scale for the price drops we want to see.

This little mini is cool but a couple years behind the times - G5 s
kick the pants off this, but for general use or small servers the G4 is
excellent and you just cannot beat the price.  This, IMOP, all stems
from the itunes/ipod/music store combination that is hauling Windows
users to the Mac - happily instead of kicking and screaming.  Microsoft
will really need to do something spectacular to keep their majority
market-share intact.  It only takes a few years with the right
competition to lose it.

jj

On 12-Jan-05, at 3:15 PM, cube-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com