[Cube] maintenance issues, Onyx and Cube running tiger

phoenix phoenix at cybernothing.org
Sun Feb 26 18:13:53 PST 2006

Quoth Andrew in Ann Arbor :

> I've got Panther (10.3.9) running on my 450 450 MHz cube.
> I put the cube to sleep when I go to sleep and wake it up in the
> morning when I wake up.
> I've got Onyx installed and run it manually once a week from my
> administrator account.
> I understand that most of what Onyx does would happen automatically if
> I didn't put the machine to sleep.
> Would it make sense to program the cube to wake up whenever the
> scheduled maintenance is supposed to happen.
> How do I figure out when the maintenance is supposed to happen?
> If I set the computer to wake up at 2:50 AM (or whenever it is
> scheduled to maintain itself) can I stop running Onyx?

    Why not just leave the Cube turned on? Since mine won't sleep (or
restart or shutdown, unless I use sudo), I just leave the sucker on, 24/7.
Only time I shut it down is if there's a thunderstorm coming.

> On a related subject  is there any security advantage to using the
> computer from a limited account?

    Yes. It prevents the user from screwing up the machine. Of course, with
a regular account in OSX, you usually have to type in an admin password to
really mess things up...

> Is there any reason not to allow my everyday account to "administer"
> the computer?

    Less so in OSX than in Windows, but we're not talking absolutes here.

A.J.