[DigiCam] Looking for an under $500 USD digital camera.

David Flory daflory at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 22 13:10:16 PST 2002

There are lots and lots of digital cameras in that price range that can
use the microdrive. Rather than tout a particular one, without knowing
what kind of photography you do, I'd suggest checking out the reviews
and datasheets at the following sites:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

http://www.dcresource.com/

Steve's is my favorite and he has links to about 3 other good sites
which review cameras.

For $500, buying on the internet, you should be able to get a camera
with 3-4 gig picture resolution/size, which easily allows 8X10 prints.
You want at least a 3X _OPTICAL_ zoom. Forget/ignore anything they say
about digital zoom. If you take a lot of sports/wildlife pictures look
for something with a rapid repeat shot ability or more than 2 frames
per second for about 3-5 frames, keeping just the last 3-5 shots.

When you decide on a camera you like, go to mysimon.com and digital
cameras and then look for the brand and model. When you get a list of
places that sell it, then click on the price column and when it has
resorted, go down the vendor column until you find the cheapest sale
price with a vendor that shows 3 stars rating. Then telephone them and
ask about in stock?, shipping price, etc. Some vendors advertise low
prices but have high shipping or try to sell you  expensive
accessories, etc. We've bought two digicams this way with good luck.

Fair winds and happy bytes,
-
Dave Flory, San Jose, CA.  daflory at pacbell.net  Go Sea Kayaking!!  ©2002
-
     Speak softly and study Aikido, then you won't need a big stick.