[DigiCam] Re: Thinking of a Coolpix 5700

Adrian Smith adrianslists at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 3 11:39:28 PST 2003

At 6:44 AM -0800 3/11/03, ShirleyK wrote:
>To get a really good idea of what the 5700 is like from owners,
>visit the forums on dpreview. On the Digital Rebel forum, people
>post their pictures and talk openly about every little feature. You
>can learn a lot about what people like or do not like about their
>cameras on those forums.
>
>Can't help with the printer. I've stuck with Epson since I first
>started printing photos, though I rarely print them anyway. They
>look so much better on the monitor that I prefer slide shows with
>panning and zooming into the photo and a musical background.

You'll find the same type of exhaustive/exhausting discussion about
printers on the "Printing" forum at DPReview. Beware that it might
just get you even more confused!

 From reading those forums it seems like print quality is comparable
between the best Canon/Epson/HP printers but there are big
differences in consumable (ie ink) cost and print longevity. Canon is
the cheapest to run while HP is (much) more expensive but has better
print longevity. Epson is in the in middle of both counts.

Just two more comments on printers. First, imaging-resource just
posted a review on the new HP 7660 (I think the number is right).
This looks to be a very good printer - but you will pay a lot more in
ink. Second, if you can you might compare the output from a Canon
4-ink printer with 2-picolitre droplets (ie i560 or i865) to the
i965. Mnay people find that that the difference between them is not
worth the extra cost of the i950/i965 - some even prefer the output
from the 4-ink printers.

(Personally I did the comparison and settled on a 4-ink printers. In
fact I did a usage/cost estimate and went for the i450 - same print
quality as the i850, much cheaper upfront but more on ink (because it
doesn't have the individual cartridges) - but I would have to print
about 1200 6x4 pictures before the difference in upfront costs was
made up).

Adrian