ISO for 'auto' setting in misc. cameras?

Tom Nugent Jr tomsubs at contracheck.com
Wed Mar 17 06:09:01 PST 2004

After years of happiness with my Nikon CP 950, I'm buying a more
modern camera to get better shots of my recently minted baby
daughter.  :-)  I'd done a bunch of research a month ago, and
yesterday went out to my local camera store to get the feel of some
cameras.  I wound up buying the Minolta Z1, surprisingly enough,
because of how quickly it started up, focused, etc.  But now I'm
thinking of returning it, for a couple of reasons (one being the lack
of a flip-out LCD monitor for those over-the-head holds).

One thing that's concerned me about this camera is that when it's in
full Auto mode, it seems to set the ISO rating to 200, and never
seems to change that setting.  It plays with aperture and shutter
speed to optimize the photo, but it doesn't seem to change the ISO.
And the photos seem to be noisy (esp. w/ flash off) because of this
higher ISO setting.  In order to switch the ISO, I have to go to "P"
mode (program?) and manually set it.  So I'm wondering:  Is it common
in most modern cameras that the fully "auto" mode fixes the ISO at
200 and doesn't change it?  Do some allow you to set a different
default ISO in Auto mode?  Or do some cameras even change the ISO on
the fly?

Thanks!

  -- Tom