[Duo2400] Re: Cardbus problem

Ivan Drucker ivanxqz at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 01:55:30 PDT 2003

>All I know is that the computer freezes during startup
>if the card is inserted. I read about this a few times
>while researching the upgrade.
>
>I do not know if it is all cardbus cards or only the
>USB.

All cardbus cards (but not 16-bit cards) freeze the machine during boot
of Mac OS 9, which is a bit of a bummer. They are ok under OS 8 and X
however.

>Does anyone have any suggestions for a firewire card
>something reasonably priced that is OS 9 friendly.

Other World Computing (macsales.com) sell a card for $30 that they
guarantee will work with OS 9, which I think is a pretty fair price. Note
that most cards (including that one) have an attached connector, but I
prefer the dongle models myself. Most likely any FireWire card will do,
actually; I use an IBM which has no specific Mac compatibility claims. If
you want to stick with a name brand, people on this list seem to like
Ratoc. If you want a super cheapie card, check out eBay.

>Also do the standard Apple drivers work or do you need
>modified ones?

The two standard Apple FireWire extensions 2.7 or later (included with
9.1) work fine. Apple's FireWire CardBus Enabler extension only works if
the card is present at startup, so you can't use that; instead, download
the one from fwdepot.com's support page. OS 9 may not have installed the
two Apple FireWire extensions because of your hardware, in which case you
should pull them out with TomeViewer (if you pull them out of the 9.2.2
updater, you'll get the very latest versions (2.8.5)).

Ivan.