[Duo2400] Re: 2400c - finder quits on restart on a fresh OS install

Christopher Kolp ckolp at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 10 21:07:51 PDT 2003

> On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 08:09  PM, Duo/2400 List wrote:
>
> Zap PRAM yet? How much RAM is in machine? Do you get an error message
> #? Have you run TechTool +/or Norton Disk Doctor 6 from external drive?
>
> Bob F

PowerBook 2400c/180
NewerTech G3 240 Upgrade
80 MB RAM
6 GB HD, Two Partitions, one with 9.1 and one with 8.0

Installed software: MacOS 9.1 (on a 5.5 GB partition), MAXpowr G3 drivers,
Global Village Platinum Pro Drivers & Japanese Language Kit.

Upon startup, when I use the MAXpowr G3 drivers, I get a "problem with the
cache memory" message. It also happens when I don't use the MAXpowr drivers.
I found that the Nupowr G3 drivers don't generate this message and seem to
enable the L2 cache just fine.

As far as the PC cards go, if I startup the machine with the GV card in the
slot, I will get a system bomb at the "MacOS" startup screen that either
says "bus error" or "address error". It appears to be random, with no link
to extensions, etc. The message says "bus error" (or address error) please
restart with extensions off.

When I boot the machine with no PC Card in the slot and then insert the
card, I will either get a "Finder Quit" dialog that asks me to restart or
the machine will simply freeze.

I've tried updated Global Village drivers. I've tried zapping the PRAM. I've
tried it with virtual memory on and off. I've disabled all the extensions
that I know how to and still it has the same problem.

I don't have TechTool Pro or Norton as of yet.

For what it's worth, on a separate partition I have MacOS 8.0 with the
MAXpowr drivers, LibMoto Extension and Global Village drivers and it works
fine. Flawless. The upgrade cache is enabled and it's very fast. I'm yet to
have any errors at all with MacOS 8.0. That's why I believe that my install
of 9.1 is somehow bad.

I also tried replacing the Finder with the one on the CD, and trashing the
prefs, to no avail.

I'm totally stumped.

-Chris