[Duo2400] off the wall project

Brian Getz briang113 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 15:50:22 PDT 2003

Interesting idea, from a purely cost basis you should
consider using LEDS either discreet or multi segement.
This would be the biggest expense I think.

The key is how big and how bright - bigger and
brighter = more cost.

The rest of the scorebaord would be fairly basic, you
know plywood and paint.

As for control function. I know there is a lot of
software for controling LED's in sign/scorebard
applications. mostly based on serial outputs.

 I don't know how much is available for the MAC.
Anybody???

--- John Slavin <jslavin at marktwain.net> wrote:
> I'm giving some thought to another use for one of my
> old duos.  My kids
> go to a very small school system (20 kids per
> class).  They recently
> built a new elementary school complete with a new
> gym.  I was thinking
> about raising some money for a score board in the
> gym and was shocked
> at the price tags for these things.
>
> That got me thinking about somehow building one out
> of a duo.  What I
> thought I might do is somehow build a duo with an
> etherdock, connect it
> to an airport base station and wirelessly connect to
> it with my
> wallstreet, which has a wireless card.  Any ideas on
> how to build a big
> scoreboard and then output to this from a duo?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> John Slavin
> Kirksville, MO
> jslavin at marktwain.net