[Duo2400] Re: off the wall project

Gregg Eshelman g_alan_e at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 06:42:05 PDT 2003

--- Brian Getz <briang113 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Interesting idea, from a purely cost basis you
> should
> consider using LEDS either discreet or multi
> segement.
> This would be the biggest expense I think.
>
> The key is how big and how bright - bigger and
> brighter = more cost.

Can't remember what magazine I saw it in, but several
years ago I read an article on building a scoreboard.
The digits were made to look like large, red "LED"
digits similar to what you see on clocks.

The trick was to mask off the shapes on the back of
a large piece of clear plexiglass then paint it with
a couple coats of black paint. To make the red digits
it used thin translucent red plastic on the back
of the plexiglass. The box was constructed with
individual compartments with lightbulbs for each
segment. The drive system used was identical to what
would be used to operate seven segment LED digit
displays but in place of the LEDs it used relays with
low voltage switching to operate 110V AC powered
lightbulbs.

Operating such a setup from a "bare" Duo would
require a serial connection. I'd look into a
"BASIC Stamp" style micro computer. Parallax Inc.
made the original and owns the BASIC Stamp trademark
name. One of the mid-level models may have enough
output pins to provide all the drive signals needed
for the scoreboard display. They all have serial
communication capability. Combine a "stamp" with
a homebrew driver/interface to operate the AC lamps
and you should have a good setup fairly cheap.

=====
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." Hiro Protagonist